The Topic of Group Development is Relevant for UGC NET Commerce & Management is as Follows:
- UGC NET Commerce (Unit – VI Business Management & Human Resource Management)
- UGC NET Management (Unit – II Organisational Behaviour & Human Resource Management)
Meaning of Group Development
The Group Development means, forming the association of people to work as a group and direct their actions towards the accomplishment of a common goal. The jobs of each group member are interdependent and hence the performance of one will affect the entire group’s performance. It is often called as a team building or team development . The most famous and a well-known model of group development was proposed by Bruce Tuckman, that included four stages Viz, forming, storming, norming, performing and later the fifth stage adjourning was added to this model.
Stages of Group Development
- Group is initially coming together.
- Period is characterized by shyness, and uncertainty among members.
- Extraverted outspoken members may rapidly assume some kind of leadership role.
- Maintenance concerns are predominating.
- Why are we here? What are we doing?
- What is our goal, our purpose? Awareness, Inclusion.
- Once the forming stage is over, the individuals will start interacting with each other in the context of the task to be achieved.
- The conflict and competition among the group members will be highest at this stage. The issues related to the leadership, responsibility, strategies, rules, authority, evaluation, reward system, etc. arises at the storming stage.
- The issues related to the leadership, responsibility, strategies, rules, authority, evaluation, reward system, etc. arises at the storming stage.
- Internal group structure now sorted, Group Identity takes shape.
- What kind of behaviors & contributions are acceptable and normalized within the group? What is frown upon, not tolerated?
- Formation of – Implicit & Explicit Group Norms.
- Norms create structure What do we stand for?
- Group can readily slip back into Storming stage.
- At this stage, synergy gets created between the team members, where everyone works towards the accomplishment of a goal.
- This stage is characterized by flexibility and interdependence.
- The team members know each other so well that they can handle any complex problem that comes before the team.
- Also, the roles and responsibilities of member changes according to the situation frequently, because at this stage everyone is equally a task-oriented and people-oriented and thus can perform efficiently
- Completion and disengagement.
- Separation and ending from tasks and members.
- Pride and accomplishment may be felt.
- Some describe stage as “Deforming and Mourning” – recognizing the sense of loss felt by group members
Practice Question for Group Development
In which stage sense of “Cooperation” starts developing in group members?
Solution : C
Worried about Upcoming UGC NET Examination ? You can check out our Free & Paid online courses for UGC NET Commerce & Management here –